Today our theme at camp was Soil and Me. We connected things in our everyday life back to soil.
Campers “deconstructed” their lunches to connect everything back to soil.
Baked Eggplant with Cheese
- 1 large eggplant sliced
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 cup of breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 Tbsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup of pasta sauce
- 1 cup of Fresh Mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup of Fresh Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Mix the milk and salt in a bowl. Add the eggplant slices to the bowl and let them soak in the mix for 20 minutes.
- In another bowl, mix the flour, breadcrumbs, Salt, and seasoning. Grease a sheet pan.
- Toss the eggplant slices into the breadcrumb mix and then place them on the greased sheet.
- Bake until both sides of the eggplant slices turn golden. Now, top the eggplant with the pasta sauce and cheese. Heat the eggplant until the cheese melts.
Pickles with Cucumbers or Green Beans
1 Quart size jar with new lid and rim
5 or six small cucumbers
3 cloves of garlic
Two heads of dill (flower part)
2 Tbs pepper corns
1 cup water
1 cup vinegar
1 ½ Tbs. pickling salt
Wash and sterilize the jars and lids.
Peel and smash the garlic.
Wash and cut the cucumbers the way you want them, chunks, quarters, slices, whole.
Place two grape leaves and dill heads in each jar.
Fill jar within one inch of the top of the jar with the cucumbers and garlic.
In sauce pan bring to boil water, vinegar and seasonings.
Pour over cucumbers in the jar within ½ inch of top.
Replace top. Cool and store in refrigerator. Will keep for several weeks. The longer it sits the better they are.
Curried Chick Peas
2 (15 oz.) cans chickpeas a.k.a. garbanzo beans,
rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1. Preheat oven to 400º F and line a baking sheet
with parchment paper.
2. Once you have thoroughly rinsed and drained
chickpeas, place them on a clean dish towel,
wrap up the towel and rub them together to
remove outer skins and to make sure they’re fully
dry. Note: if they’re still wet, they won’t be as
3. Transfer chickpeas to a large bowl and stir in olive
oil, lime juice, curry powder, chili, powder, paprika
and cayenne. Mix together so everything is
4. Pour chickpeas out into a single layer on lined
baking sheet, then place in oven and bake for 40
minutes, or until crispy.
5. Remove from oven and season with salt. Let cool
or serve immediately.