Today was the last day of camp and the theme was Getting Dirty – Doing our part.
Today campers finally got to do their experiments with their STEM projects. They built volcanoes and used Diet Coke and Mentos to try to create an explosion. Unfortunately, none of the volcanoes erupted. But then each group talked about some reasons why it may not have worked.
Before they did their volcano project, they threw their seed balls that they had made earlier this week.
In Garden Kitchen, the kids made a spinach pasta with summer squash. In the afternoon, they enjoyed “dirt cups” made with chocolate pudding, crushed Oreos and gummy worms.
In the afternoon, groups went on a hike before we all played on the giant slip and slide!
Spinach Fettuccine with Summer Squash
1 12 oz. package of spinach fettuccine
2 Tbs. Olive Oil
2 Medium yellow summer squashes, halved lengthwise and sliced
1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
½ cup grated parmesan
3 tbs. Balsamic vinaigrette
- Cook pasta according to directions and drain
- Heat oil in skillet. When hot add squash and saute over medium heat, stir often until tender crisp.
- Combine pasta, squash and tomatoes.
- Add parmesan cheese.
- Toss with vinaigrette
Yield: 8 cups
Prep time: 30 min
1 15-ounce package chocolate sandwich cookies (like Oreos)
1 3.9-ounce package chocolate instant pudding
2 cups cold milk
8 ounces whipped topping (like Cool Whip)
24 gummy worms
- Prepare pudding according to directions on box.
- Crush chocolate sandwich cookies
- Mix pudding and whipped topping.
- Put pudding mixture in a cup and top with crushed cookies. Add gummy worms to the top.