Welcome back to Day 3 of Eco-Warriors Camp! Our activities today were motivated by our goal to make positive contributions to the ecosystems around us and prevent the addition of more waste to our environment.
By Day 3, we’ve become experts at doing the animal chores!
After a discussion about some of the adverse effects of erosion, EduLeaders led campers in making Pollinator Seed Bombs. The idea is that the seed bombs can be dropped in places that have experienced erosion. The seeds from the seed bombs will take root and minimize erosion that is happening where we drop them. Campers combined clay, dirt, water and seeds to create their seed bombs. This is just one solution to this issue that was very easy for our campers to carryout!
Between activities we often have time for a few of our favorite camp games like Fruit Basket and Owls and Mice.
Pepper Groups helped out the bees today by heading to the Edu Garden and Hand Pollinating! They acted like insects by touching pollen from one plant and transferring it to others. The Yellow Peppers were pretty interested in the fact that the center of different flowers look and feel different from one another.
Tomorrow, campers will finally get to share their Carnival Games! All week campers have explored the importance of functionality and aesthetics in engineering design. Small groups and individuals brainstormed games to make based on those they’ve played and seen before. Everyone has shown such creativity and ingenuity this week!
Today, we made further efforts to minimize our Ecological Footprint. Single-use plastic, like the wrap used to cover food, is pretty wasteful. We thought up a way to minimize our plastic use by making Wax Cling Wraps. Campers took squares of cloth, dipped them in wax and let them hang dry. The wax helps the cloth to hold the shape of the container it’s covering. Everyone was able to take one home!
Blueberry Energy Bites
- 1 cup dry oats
- ¼ cup sun butter
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ cup dried or fresh blueberry
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- salt, optional
Directions: Mix oats, sun butter and honey in a large bowl. Add dried blueberries, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt and mix to combine. Place bowl in the refrigerator for 30-60 minutes, or until the mixture has solidified. Mold mixture into bite-sized balls.
Mini Zucchini Pizzas
- 3 large zucchini, sliced into 1/4″ rounds
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- 1/4 c. marinara or pizza sauce
- 1/3 c. shredded mozzarella
- 1/3 c. mini pepperoni
- Dried oregano, for sprinkling
Directions: Preheat oven to 400 °F. Place zucchini on a baking sheet and brush with olive oil. Bake until slightly tender, 5 minutes. Spoon a thin layer of sauce over each slice, then top with mozzarella and mini pepperoni. Sprinkle with dried oregano and bake until zucchini is tender and cheese is melted, 10 minutes.
A few reminders!
- Tie dye shirts will be sent home Thursday afternoon. They have dried in the sun but have not been washed yet. We recommend washing alone in cold water.
- Campers should come in long pants and closed toe shoes for the field trip on Friday. These are safety precautions from the facilities we are visiting.
- Join us at 3:30pm on Friday for our Closing Celebration! Campers will prepare a song to share with families. We will still have After-Care for those who are enrolled.