Today our theme was Animal Kingdom. We spent a lot of time learning about and playing with Tollgate’s animals.
One activity was called Sheep to Sweater. We got a chance to weave on our looms and make bracelets out of wool with our drop spindles. It works by spinning a small portion of the yarn around a hook at the end of a stick, you hold on to the stick with one hand and your roving (wool) with the other and quickly spin it while pulling the wool to form a thin piece of yarn. It’s a very tricky process that can be hard to get the hang of.
We used the processed wool for our projects but in the afternoon Ms. Nicole, showed us how to shear a sheep. We talked about how lanolin naturally protects the sheep’s wool from water, dirt, and debris that would become tangled if they didn’t have it. The sheep was so soft after we sheared him.
We had so much fun taking the goat kids out for a walk! Even though a few goats wanted to be stubborn for the Red Pepper group.
During garden kitchen, the campers made a delicious leafy green salad with pesto. The campers got a chance to pick some of the lettuce and basil that went into their snack today. Each camper also took home a basil plant.
Our sustainable farms are really shaping up. Today we added toy animals to our farms. Some of the farms are getting really creative!
Remember to wear your camp shirts tomorrow for our last day of camp!
Leafy Green Salad
- 6 oz asparagus
- 6 oz green beans, trimmed and halved
- 1 ½ cup fresh peas
- 6 oz broccoli, chopped
- 10 oz spinach
- 5.5 oz green leafy vegetables (spinach, arugula, lettuces)
- 4” piece of cucumber cut lengthwise and slice
- 4 tsp white wine vinegar
- 6 Tbs olive oil
- 2 Tbs lemon juice
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 tsp pesto
- Put a pot of water on to boil
- Snap ends off asparagus and throw away, cut ends off green beans, pull any strings
- Cut asparagus in smaller pieces, take peas out of pods, chop broccoli, slice cucumbers
- Add beans to boiling water cook for two minutes
- Add asparagus, peas and broccoli, simmer for three minutes
- Drain, and rinse in cold water, drain again
- Place all dressing ingredients in a bowl.
- Whisk until well blended
- Place spinach and cucumbers in large bowl, add cooked vegetables and drizzle dressing over. Toss and serve